If you or a loved one has been charged with a sex crime, it is wise to act quickly and contact a skilled criminal defense attorney. Unfortunately, the accused must endure the legal process, as well as the social stigma attached to an offense of this nature. Our Michigan sex crime lawyers will aggressively defend your freedom and fight to ensure that your privacy and your rights are protected.
Many law firms shy away from individuals charged with sex crimes as being too controversial. At Barberi Law, we believe that every individual deserves experienced representation. As a former prosecutor, Mr. Barberi will fight by your side from start to finish while answering your questions as promptly and honestly as possible. Client questions can include:
- What if I was falsely accused of a sex crime?
- What types of behaviors constitute child sexual abuse?
- Is there a statute of limitations on sex crimes?
- What if I’m accused of date rape?
These and many more questions will be answered by our criminal law experts. No matter your situation, we encourage you to contact our office to schedule a consultation.
Sex Offender Registry and Statutory Rape
- What is the Sex Offender Registry? Depending on the nature of your charge, a conviction can mean registering with state and local authorities as a sex offender. This registration, along with scheduled visits by law enforcement, is a way for law enforcement to keep track of registered sex offenders. Failure to register is a crime.
- What is statutory rape? Statutory rape is sexual intercourse between an adult (17 years of age or older) and an individual younger than the age of consent, which is Michigan is 16 years of age. Even if the underage person consented to the sexual contact, the defendant may be convicted of statutory rape because, essentially, the younger individual was not old enough to “legally” consent to having sex.
If you have questions regarding sex crime defense, we encourage you to contact Barberi Law. If you would like to schedule a consultation to discuss your specific situation, call (989) 546-7124, or complete our online contact form.Contact Us Today!