Criminal charges of any kind should always be taken seriously. A conviction can have a devastating effect on your future, so you should always explore your options with an experienced local defense attorney before speaking to the police or anyone else about the charges. Whether you are facing a drunk driving charge or your underage college student has been accused of drug possession or assault, you need a defense attorney who knows the law, knows the local courts, and is committed to protecting your rights. The criminal defense attorneys at Barberi Law have over 25 years of experience representing clients charged with a range of criminal offenses and should be the first law firm you contact following an arrest. Our team includes a former prosecutor and a former public defender, along with knowledgeable and compassionate support staff—you couldn’t be in better hands.
What to Do When You Have Been Arrested
You may have seen a legal drama or two on TV and think you know what to do if you are arrested, but you might be surprised at the level of fear and anxiety you experience when it actually happens. If you or your minor child is arrested, try to keep the following in mind:
- Be polite and cooperative, but do not answer any questions beyond the most basic identifying information. Remain calm and encourage family members to remain calm.
- Call the criminal defense attorneys at Barberi Law at 989-773-3423. Do not say anything until an attorney is with you.
- Once you have contacted us, do not submit to questioning without an attorney being present.
- Make sure your attorney is present if you are asked to participate in a lineup.
- Do not talk to a prosecutor or discuss a plea agreement without your attorney present, even if you are threatened with a “limited-time offer” on a deal. Your attorney will handle all communications with the police, prosecutor, and courts.
You or your loved one will likely be very scared during this process, but it is important to remember that you can do a lot of damage to your case by answering questions, failing to cooperate, and agreeing to offers without consulting a lawyer. When you call us, we will provide you with the best advice possible to protect your rights.
Criminal Cases We Accept
If you are charged with a crime in North/Central Michigan, you can count on our defense team to represent you in any court proceedings. Some of the types of cases we accept include the following:
- Drug possession
- Juvenile offenses
- Sex crimes
- Operating while intoxicated
- Assault and battery
- Domestic violence and restraining orders
- Theft, burglary, larceny, robbery or shoplifting
- Violent crimes
- Traffic violations
- Fraud, embezzlement, and other white collar crimes
- Tribal law
In criminal law cases, many charges are handled similarly. As a result, our experienced criminal defense team is prepared to handle any challenge you are facing. Remember, before you answer any questions, call us first!
No Need to Go to Detroit
Are you seeking a skilled criminal defense attorney serving Midland, Mount Pleasant, and the surrounding areas? If so, there is no reason to call a Detroit law firm to represent you. Barberi Law has the experience and connections in our local police departments and courts to provide you with the best possible defense. From Ithaca to Gaylord, put a former prosecutor and former public defender on your side. Our offices in Mt. Pleasant and Midland will give you the edge in obtaining the best possible results in your case. When you are arrested and charged with a crime, do not hesitate to call Barberi Law.