If you are in an abusive relationship, immediately seek help! Far too often, individuals remain silent because of embarrassment or the notion of “it was an isolated incident.” All people have the right to be free from fear and violence.

The family law attorneys at Barberi Law have extensive experience helping threatened individuals escape a hostil/toxic situation. There are several protections in place for people who are being hurt or threatened with violence. Our clients typically have several legal questions when confronted with this type of situation, such as:

  • I thought that spouses could not sue each other. Is that true?
  • Is a personal protection order limited to people who are married?
  • What is an ex-parte personal protection order?

These and many more questions are addressed in a book written by Mr. Barberi. The book, The Divorce Book: What Every Michigan Married Man or Woman Needs to Know…and 5 Things That Can Sink Your Divorce Case, has been specifically written to answer questions regarding your rights and the legal process involved in obtaining help in cases involving abuse or domestic violence. No matter your situation, we encourage you to contact the family law legal team at Barberi Law. We will mail you a copy of Mr. Barberi’s book, free of charge. If you wish, we can also schedule a consultation with a family law legal team memmber at one of our offices.

Answering the Important Questions

If you are being physically or emotionally abused by your partner and want legal help, you first need answers to these questions:

  • Is this a civil or criminal complaint?
    Any unwanted touching or causing fear of physical injury is a criminal act. Michigan criminal laws provide for an immediate arrest of an abuser. Although uncommon, it is also possible for one spouse to sue the other spouse for civil damages. These monetary damages can be settled within a divorce action as part of the property settlement or a seperate lawsuit can be filed against the abuser.
  • What is a personal protection order?
    A personal protection order (PPO) can be obtained when two parties have lived together and serious problems now exist between them. Problems can be defined as physical violence, harassment or stalking. The PPO can prevent an individual from entering the property where the aggrieved person lives or works, removing the aggrieved person’s minor children, harassing or stalking the aggrieved party, or physically harming or threatening to harm the aggrieved party.


If you have questions regarding personal protection orders, we encourage you to contact the family law legal team at Barberi Law. We will send you a free copy of Mr. Barberi’s book, which details several of the most common questions and concerns that other clients have had regarding abusive spouses and domestic violence. If you would like to schedule a consultation to discuss your specific situation, call (989) 546-7124, or complete our online contact form.

Contact Us Today!

Get Help Now

Fill out the form below to connect with us, and we will be in touch with you shortly to discuss your case.