Snowmobiling is a popular winter pastime in Michigan, with over 200,000 registered snowmobiles in the state. However, snowmobiling can also be dangerous, and accidents can result in serious injuries or even death. If you have been injured in a snowmobile accident in Michigan, it is important to understand your legal rights and options.
Common Causes of Snowmobile Accidents
Snowmobile accidents can be caused by a variety of factors, including:
- Operator Error- This is the most common cause of snowmobile accidents. It can include speeding, losing control, and driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Mechanical Failure- This can include problems with the brakes, steering, or engine.
- Other Factors- This can include poor visibility, unmarked hazards, and collisions with other vehicles or objects.
Legal Claims for Snowmobile Accidents
If you have been injured in a snowmobile accident, you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit against the person or entity responsible for your injuries. To succeed in a personal injury lawsuit, you will need to prove that the other party was negligent and that their negligence caused your injuries.
Damages in Snowmobile Accidents
If you are successful in a snowmobile accident lawsuit, you may be able to recover damages for your injuries, including:
Medical expenses: This includes the cost of your hospital bills, doctor's visits, and medications.
Lost wages: This includes the wages you lost while you were unable to work due to your injuries.
Pain and suffering: This includes the physical and emotional pain you suffered as a result of your injuries.
Property damage: This includes the cost of repairing or replacing your snowmobile or other property that was damaged in the accident.
Wrongful Death Claims
If your loved one was killed in a snowmobile accident, you may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. A wrongful death lawsuit is a civil action that is brought by the family members of a person who was killed due to the negligence of another person or entity.
Finding an Attorney
If you have been injured in a snowmobile accident, it is important to find an experienced, local personal injury attorney who understands the law to help you with your case. We here at Barberi Law can help you, or your loved ones, if you are injured in a snowmobile accident to understand your legal rights, investigate the accident, negotiate a settlement with the insurance company, or take your case to trial if necessary.
- Michigan Department of Natural Resources: https://www.michigan.gov/dnr/
- Michigan Snowmobile Association: https://www.msasnow.org/
- National Snowmobile Association: https://www.snowmobile.org/